I’m still catching up on tags and award nominations from July so forgive me if it seems like all I am doing is posting awards. I was very blessed to be nominated for several different awards over the past couple of weeks and for the Liebster, I was nominated by three wonderful fellow bloggers during the same week.
First, I want to thank my sweet friend Mischenko@Read, Rant, and Rock and Roll! Mischenko is such a wonderful person and has such an amazing blog, so please go check out her site and hit the follow button!! You won’t regret it 🙂 Second, I want to thank Jenna@Bookmark Your Thoughts! Jenna is such a sweet blogger and always has such wonderful content! Make sure you take a look at her blog and follow 🙂 Third, I want to thank Danielle@ The Introverted Book Nerd! Danielle has only been blogging a few weeks, but she and I connected since then. She is a real sweetheart, and you really need to check out her blog and follow her!
*The Liebster Award is given as an online recognition by other bloggers to new bloggers for enjoying or appreciating their work. It highlights up and coming blogs.*
- Acknowledge the blog who nominated you and display the award.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger gives you.
- Nominate 11 blogs.
- Notify those blogs of the nomination.
- Give them 11 questions to answer.
Mischenko’s Questions for Me
1. What are your favorite hobbies? Reading, baking, eating my baking if that counts, painting, watching tv if in the mood, reading, online shopping, reading, listening to music, yoga, playing with my dogs, napping, reading, swimming, traveling, blogging, reading! Did I say reading??
2. What job do you think you’d be terrible at? Waitressing. I would be the worst waitress in the world because I’m very clumsy. I have sprained my right ankle 4 times since I was 14 and my left one 2 times since I was probably 24. I fell off a curb once just while taking a walk. I run into walls. I learned the hard way to always get the accident plan on my laptop after dumping not 1 but 2 bottles of water on an old one years ago. I’d be the waitress dumping your soup in your lap or landing in your lap.
3. What is the most annoying habit that other people have? That’s a long list but I will stick with my top 5: lying, cheating, using you, being a fake friend, being judgmental.
4. What’s your favorite drink? Cold brew tea with a splash of cream and vanilla syrup in the summer, Earl Grey or Irish Breakfast tea with milk and sugar all year long, or lemonade in the summer.
5. What songs have you completely memorized? I have a horrible memory for song lyrics, and it doesn’t matter how many times I’ve heard it. I can sing bits and pieces although I can hum the entire song. I can sing “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star” no problem if you want?
6. What pets do you have? I have 2 dogs, Branna and Onyx and 1 cat, Chloe.
7. Who’s your go to band or artist when you can’t decide on something to listen to? Usually either Bon Jovi, Audioslave, The Rolling Stones, Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, Maroon Five, Michael Jackson, Keith Urban
8. What TV shows are you into now, or have been in the past? Outlander, Poldark, Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, How to Get Away With Murder, American Gods, Game of Thrones. Oh, and Sherlock I watch obsessively, even past seasons, because it is Sherlock Holmes the greatest literary detective,
and I’m a Cumberbitch…I have no idea what I just wrote there except that I meant Benedict Cumberbatch is excellent, superb and fantastic in the role of Sherlock. Top notch!!
9. What would be your ideal way to spend a weekend? Reading, napping, baking cookies, take-out, or having friends over for a cookout, maybe a date night
10. What’s your favorite holiday? Halloween! I love everything about it from the decorations to the costumes to the spooky atmosphere to the candy!!
11. What’s your favorite movie? Oh, tricky because I barely watch movies; I could probably never see a movie again and never care! Gone With the Wind for a classic; Wonder Woman is my current favorite superhero/action movie; Sweet Home Alabama has always been one of my favorite romantic comedies; I love all the Bond movies with Daniel Craig; Disney’s animated Beauty and the Beast is my favorite kid’s film
Jenna’s Questions for Me
1. What is your favorite animal? What would you say is your spirit animal? I’m equally a cat and dog lover. I’ve never thought about what my spirit animal would be, interesting. I would say it is the cat since I prefer the darkness and am always curious about the unknown. That is partially why I not only read everything so I can learn as much as I can but why I am apparently a perpetual student at age 40 because I’m always curious and wanting to learn.
2. Choose: Country Life or City Life? Neither, town life since even though I like the city I couldn’t live surrounded by all the bustle and noise and although I like the country it is too far from all the things that I love. I have to at least like to be close to concerts, ballet, theater, salons, and Starbucks!
3. How do you choose your next book to read? Usually by my mood, unless it is an ARC that needs to be read for a review. Otherwise, I just read whatever I want at the time.
4.What is your favorite genre to read? Do you find it’s changed over recent years? Thrillers, mysteries, psychological suspense, crime fiction, historical fiction. Of course, I love classic British literature too…I could read classic British lit anytime! Yes and no. I’ve loved mysteries since my first Nancy Drew when I was 7 years old, but I read more classical novels and more historical fiction in my early 20’s than anything else with some mysteries and suspense tossed in. Then, I began reading a lot of contemporary fiction and chick-lit in my late 20s, but I really got back into crime fiction, thrillers, mysteries, psychological suspense once I hit 30, and I have just pretty much stayed with that genre since with all those other genres thrown in when I’m in the mood! I’ve always loved classic British lit and don’t see that changing and since I have to read it 9 months out of the year, I guess that’s a good thing!!
5. Pick your top five book characters. 1) Scarlett O’ Hara 2) Will Trent 3) Sherlock Holmes 4) Harry Potter 5) Sir Lancelot and Guinevere (you can’t have one without the other, sorry!)
6. If you were a character, what role would your character play (i.e. main character, the sage, the jokester, etc.)? Probably the main character’s best friend who is always having crazily stupid things happen to them that livens up the book…think Lulu in the Stephanie Plum series. That is how my real life seems to go, so I’m going to go with that. I’ve never been shot at or had a car blow up though just to clarify….
7. Where’s your favorite reading spot (copying Patty because I really love this question)? Either curled up on my couch with my dog’s head in my lap all cozy under an afghan or lying in my bed with loads of pillows and comfy blankets.
8.Choose: Daytime or Nighttime? Nighttime since it’s very peaceful and quiet, and I usually can get a lot done at night. Plus, I usually don’t sleep a whole lot at night, so I get to have a lot of me time, which is not too bad.
9. If you could wish for anything, what would it be? I answered this in-depth when I did the Unique Blogger Award the other day, so I don’t want to drive anyone crazy by repeating myself. So, I will say it a bit differently: I would wish for people with chronic, invisible illnesses like myself receive understanding from people who have no idea what we go through every day. It is true that the majority of people with Fibromyalgia, Lupus, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and many more chronic illnesses don’t appear outwardly sick at times; yet, most of us are in extreme physical pain almost every single day. So my wish would be less judgment and more understanding about what the person is going through; in vein same vein I would wish for awareness so along with understanding people would actually know what these diseases mean for day to day living…what are the symptoms, treatments, what does it mean when she says good and bad day, what can I do to help. So awareness, understanding, and empathy.
10. Describe your beautiful self in five words. Introverted; Anxious; Introspective; Compassionate; Creative/Artistic
11. Why did you start blogging? Because I love to read more than pretty much anything so that made me want to start my own blog since I wanted to have a special place of my very own where all my reviews would be in one place, a place that I could personalize and be creative with unlike Goodreads….like, well, my own blog :)! Another reason I started my blog was that I love to write even though I have awful writer’s block, but I don’t get a chance to do that very often for fun just for work and classes, which is often pretty boring, so blogging lets me do explore the fun side of writing unless I have to write a not so fun review! Last, I started my blog because I really wanted to meet other people like me who love to read and understand why books are my passion since my husband and closest friends aren’t readers, yikes!
Danielle’s Question’s for Me
1.Why did you start blogging, and when? See answer to #11 above for why 🙂 And I started my blog on May 7, 2017 so close to 3 months ago!
2. Who are your favorite authors? Karin Slaughter #1. Jane Green, Lee Child, Richelle Mead, Taylor Jenkins Reid, Lisa Scottoline, Diane Chamberlain, Mary Kubica, Diana Gabaldon, Karen White, Janet Evanovich, Jodi Picoult, Lisa Gardner, David Baldacci, Jill Mansell, Sophia Kinsella…oh, way too many to name!
3. Name a book that made an impact on your life, and why? When I read To Kill a Mockingbird for the second time, it was a turning point in my life. Before this, I had my future mapped out with plans to become a doctor and had been reading every medical book that I could get my hands on since childhood. Yet, when I was introduced to sweet, innocent Scout, Atticus Finch, and Harper Lee’s silky sweet prose as she writes a powerful story of injustices, social inequality, racism, rape, coming of age, integrity, and the courage to stand up and face head on scary wrongs (because that’s what good people do), my life was forever changed. It was then that I decided that I wanted to teach English literature because narratives like this, besides being an utter joy to read, have the power to be life changing. Lee uses her words to weave the theme of courage throughout this classic book without being preachy, and that is a theme that is still as applicable today as it was 57 years ago. Thank you, Harper Lee, for changing my life because it would be so utterly different if I had not read this amazing, wonderful little book!
4. When do you find the time to blog? Mostly every day mid-morning and really late at night, but that will change in about 4 weeks when I return back to work. I’m not sure when I will find the time then. It might be just on weekends or really late at night since I’ll be getting my daughter off to school bright and early on weekdays, doing lesson plans and grading papers most days and even though I am teaching all my classes online this semester, I have to be available to my students (all 180 of them, yikes!!) by email, phone, or Skype during my online office hours, and I have 2 days of on-campus office hours too. It’s going to be a juggling act once August hits for sure and finding that balance.
5. If you could be any super hero, who would you be and why? Wonder Women of course!! She is empowering to women. She’s strong and confident and can clearly do it all without being all rude and in your face about it. She’s a true hero that anyone can look up to…and she has cool accessories, plus, I have always wanted to get my hands on her lasso for soooo many reasons.
6. When did you start enjoying reading? As far back as I can remember, I have loved reading! My earliest memories of my mother are of her reading to me, and I was reading constantly by the time I was 4 to myself. I never really liked to play with other kids but just wanted to read and be left alone. I still just want to read and be left alone.
7. What is your favorite book or series? Favorite book: Gone With the Wind; Favorite Book Series: Will Trent by Karin Slaughter, hands down!
8. Would you rather explore the deep ocean or outer space? I’m not a big outer space fan except to stare at the stars, but I do like the ocean and have always been fascinated with ocean life. Years ago I went scuba diving in the Caribbean and that was the most amazing experience, and I would love to go deep sea diving one day. I’ve got an unhealthy fascination with sharks that makes my husband have to drag me out of the water when one is sited too close to shore, and I wrote several papers in middle school science classes on the Marianas Trench…now I’m not sure why. So the deep ocean it is!
9. How long would you survive the zombie apocalypse? Justify your answer. Hahaha, I have no idea! I’ve got first aid covered if needed and I know how to use a gun if I had one and had ammunition, so that might get me through a while. But I’m clueless on how to grow crops, so I would really have to raid a grocery store and fast. I’m clueless on how to make chemicals or my own clothes, so that would be a problem too. So unless I found people who could do those things and let me join up with them, then I’d give myself a month before I got my face eaten off.
10. If you were going to be a character in somebody’s book, who would you want to write it? If it is a suspense novel, then Karin Slaughter because she would make me a kick-ass female, and it there would be loads of crazy thrills! Plus, I might meet a hot man in her book. Otherwise, I want JK Rowling to write it. She can make me a character in her new Harry Potter books; I’m sure she has time for some quick rewrites!
11. What is your Hogwarts house? I’m a very proud Ravenclaw!
I tried to pick a few blogs that are new or newer to the blogging community for this award since the Liebster Award is also meant to highlight upcoming blogs.
(To my nominees: no pressure at all with these! As always if you have been previously nominated or don’t do awards, please just know that I was thinking of you when selecting my nominees! 🙂 )
- Sarah@Book Hooked Nook
- Mama Cass @Aspen Tree Book Reviews
- My Eyelash Wishes
- M and V @A Taste for Books
- Marie@Lots of Livres
- Mary @Silver Button Books
- Ann Reads Them
- Ashleigh@ Ashleigh Reads
- Lana’s Life in Words and Lyrics
- Caro@CJR the Brit
- A Book Without End
- Do you prefer to read a series or standalone books?
- What is your favorite book quote of all time or if you don’t have a favorite book quote, then a quote from a movie, etc that is your favorite?
- Tell us 4-5 random facts about you.
- What is your favorite flavor of ice cream or if you don’t like ice cream, then tell us your favorite dessert?
- What is the one book that you would recommend that everyone read before they die? Why?
- What is your favorite thing about blogging?
- How long have you been blogging?
- What are your most anticipated fall 2017 book releases (Your top five)?
- What do you think is the most underrated book (or movie or tv series) that everyone should read or watch?
- Choose one book that you would like to completely forget whether it’s because you want to read it again for the first time (it was just that amazing) or because you thoroughly disliked it.
- What is your favorite book genre? Your least favorite?